Secrets of A Multimillion Dollar Rap Studio Engineer [INTERVIEW]
The Studio at the Palms is the #1 recording studio in Las Vegas, NV, hosting such acts as Dr. Dre, DJ Khaled, Celine Dion, Lil' Wayne, Britney Spears, Tyga, and much more. Kevin Luu is a full-time studio engineer at this location and did How To Rap the honor of sitting down for an interview at our Vegas pad. More info about the studio and booking rates can be found here: http://www.palms.com/recording-studio.html
WATCH The Full Interview With Kevin on YouTube by clicking HERE.
QUESTIONS ANSWERED IN THE INTERVIEW WITH TIME STAMPS:
1) Give us a rundown about your philosophy around building a home studio vs. going to a pro studio, how much to invest in a home studio, etc.
2) How experienced are major famous rappers in the mixing software and hardware? Is it important to know that stuff
3) What are three "phrases" that are a MUST KNOW for a rapper coming into a top studio like the Palms?
4) Are there any "pet peeves" that you have as an engineer with artists?
5) How commonly do rappers just come into the studio to WRITE the whole song rather than just come with it pre-written?
6) Is it better to save money and get into a pro studio... or is it better to just build a home studio and never step into a pro?
7) How did YOU become an engineer and getting into the big music industry grind?
8) Have you ever worked at other big name studios? What kind of fuckery have you seen?
9) Have you found that rappers lazier than other genres? Or is it a marketing strategy and they really all grind?
10) Do you find that if the artist is not very focused or giving you directions, you'll do whatever tf you feel is good?
11) Is it common that artists are super "sensitive" about their music?
12) Is part of the reason why people fall of is because the engineers are "yes men"?
13) The engineer's opinion on being too touchy as an artist
14) Engineer's are more open-minded than you think
15) How important is it for the rapper to be aware of sound quality... .MP3 vs. .WAV? What are you losing, what are you going, etc.?
16) Kanye's Mentor No I.D. advice on sound quality
17) Quantity vs. Quality
18) How many songs does your average top level rapper make in a night?
19) How much should rappers be writing?